Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter in Carolina

It is a bright and beautiful Easter morning here in Carolina. The sun is shining and it is a brisk 55*. It is a great day to be alive and know that Jesus is our refuge and ever present help in times of trouble and need. He is our Redeemer and salvation. Our hope for this life and the next. Basically like the song says, "It's All IN Him." It is all wrapped up in Him. He is the answer to all of life's problems and the help in every situation. There is nothing to big for our God!

Spring has sprung in Carolina and I can tell by the sneezing I am doing, by the yellow pollen that covers every outdoor surface, and by the beautiful colors of the flowers that are blooming.


When I was growing up, my grandma's house was a warm an inviting place to be. I have so many wonderful memories of being there with her and the rest of the family. Nearly every Sunday we would go to her house to eat lunch after church. And Easter Sunday was no exception...then after the meal, the adults would hide Easter eggs for the kids to find.



Out by the cattle guard, and across the trees that grew there, beautiful lilac-purple flowers would bloom. The vines would run down the trees and across the fence row. I always loved how they looked there. They were wisteria vines, and to this day, when I see them, I always think warm thoughts and I am transported back to Mawmaw's house.



While driving down the highway yesterday to get a couple things from the grocery store I passed this house that had wisteria growing all around it, I immediately knew I had to get some shots of it. Later in the evening, while the kids were playing and Andrew was watching the ribs on the grill, I slipped away and walked around this old homeplace and took a few photo's. As I did I wondered about the family that lived here, and how they felt seeing the house in this condition.



As you can see, the house is basically in ruins, it looks as though they are getting ready to tear the rest of it down and clear the area. I begin to think of the lives that were once lived there, the memories the place probably holds for someone. And now, how lifeless the place is, falling apart, and I was saddened by the thought. However, the beautiful blooms of wisteria that liven up the place make it beautiful to me.







This area of the house was especially familiar to me. Mawmaw's house had a chimney like this on the side of the house and the lines of the house reminded me of her house. The many, many years of living that was done there. Now it too sits empty, unused. I know in time, the house will eventually look the same as this house does. And I grieve at the thought, that someday when I go back for visits, there will be an empty spot where the old home place once stood. The memories of what seems like life times ago...ages gone by, a time that will never be again. Only in the hearts and memories of those who loved and lived there.





I miss you Mawmaw. I hope to again be reunited in our heavenly home one day.
Until then, I will cherish the memories of you. Thank you for being such a beautiful part of my life and for being a wonderful grandma.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails