Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A symbol or talisman...



While doing some Christmas shopping I ran across this cross. I really liked it, it seemed to speak to me. So I bought it. After Christmas I returned to the store to see about buying another one for a friend and they were all gone. But in their place I found these keys...
I bought them immediately! I know it didn't mean a thing to the store clerk and the fact they were in the same place in the store, meant nothing to anyone, but me...
I placed them on my dresser... when I look at them I am reminded of the fact that Jesus went to the cross to purchase my salvation...that was the work of salvation...
The keys, you ask...
The keys are my part of the equation...
Before Jesus left this earth he spoke to Peter in Matthew 16:18-19
"And I say also, unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
And I will give unto thee the KEYS of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
Peter was given the position as gate keeper...because he had the keys to get into heaven...
After Jesus was cruicified, and after the upper room experience, Peter stood up with the other eleven preaching to the people. They were moved and asked "what must we do..."
Peter used the keys he had been given and told them what they must do...
The cross and the keys...the interlocking elements of my salvation--given freely to me in the word of God.
Yes, Jesus did the work of salvation, but I must use the keys in order to make heaven my home.
Do you have an object, or something that offers reflection and hope in your life? If so, I would love to hear about it. Leave me a comment about your talisman.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails