Monday, June 29, 2009

Home again, Home again, juggidy jug...

Well we made it home from our trip. We had a good time, although we had a change of plans while gone. We didn't make it up to NYC after all. We went to DC and did the usual sightseeing things; (ie., lots of walking). While we were there one of the Metro trains crashed, I am sure you heard about it, anyway, we decided we had enough of the city. We all wanted to go to the beach anyway, so we drove down to the Outer Banks and ended our vacation there.



When we got into the hotel near DC, Lauren, Andrew and Noah went for a swim while Megan and I went to a grocery store to get some supplies and back to Pizza Hut to pick up a pizza for supper. While out, Lauren called and said for us to come quick that Noah had fallen by the pool and hit his face and head and we were going to have to take him to the emergency room!

What a way to start a vacation. By the time we got back to the hotel, he had calmed down and we realized that he was okay except for a busted lip and a little bump over his eye...Thank God it wasn't anything more.

I use to think I would love to live in a large city. In fact, years ago, before I married, I had the chance to go to DC and work, but I chose to get married instead. And at the time Andrew was in the military and couldn't go anywhere, so I didn't go to DC to work...

Now, I don't like big cities...to many people, to much traffic...I prefer the slower, easier path. It is enough of a challenge for me to drive a few miles in afternoon traffic to get to Wal-Mart or Food Lion, I am not interested in long commutes and long traffic delays. I think that people who fight that traffic day after day probably age quicker than the rest of us do. That is just a theory of mine, I don't have research to back it up, but just country folk observation...

So when we decided to change our destination after DC, I found us a room on the beach. As we made our way south from the DC area, once we reached Newport News, Virginia, I could feel the difference in the air. I could smell the salt water. After going through the Hampton Bay Bridge tunnel, and arriving in Virginia Beach, the stress of the city was all but gone. I felt so relaxed. Driving onto the Outer Banks, where the living is easy and slow...I felt totally at ease and felt right at home...

After getting settled in at the hotel, we headed to the beach, only to find rough waters and we found out that someone had drown earlier that day, and they had not recovered the body...

While everyone else enjoyed the pool, Noah and I played in the sand and I just listened and watched the waves crashing onto the shore. Such a wonderful relaxing sound...

Megan and I rose fairly early and looked for shells along the beach and we took late evening walks after the tide came in. We came home with a bag of ocean treasures...

I was again reminded that I would love to live where I could get up every morning and walk along the shore searching for shells. I didn't take many pictures while there, I was hesitant about taking my camera out in the sand, so I only have a few to share. I did take some in DC and will be posting some of those later.

Now that we are back to the daily hum of life, I need to get up and go to the grocery store, so I will stop this post here. I will post photo's and more bout the trip another time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails