Friday, October 2, 2009

A Few Things...

Here are a few things that have been going on around the house.
This is the after photo:

I don't have a before, but trust me, it wasn't good. We've had this chest for many years. Andrew's dad gave it to us. He had purchased it at an auction. It was a typical ceder chest, inside and out. We used it for years, but in Little Rock it ended up in the sun room. It got damp and dusty and we considered throwing it out when we moved. Then one day, Andrew decided to redo it. We are going to put it at the foot of our bed and fill it with quilts.

A little distressing to make it look old. I really like that look.

We left the inside as it was. Before it looked like the inside on the outside also and the feet had been chewed on by one of the puppies in our lives. Andrew removed the feet and replaced them.








Now on to one of my favorite subjects:
Food!



This is one of my favorite snacks.
Vanilla yogurt, blueberries, raspberries and bananas with some granola sprinkled throughout, and topped with a light dusting of confectionery sugar.

Notice the tray that the yummy delight sits upon...


I bought the tray several years ago at a yard sale or Goodwill, I can't remember.
Anyway, it has been on my hutch in my dining room, almost forgotten. Until last Saturday;
I had a couple of tables of things that I put in the yard sale at our church and while there, of course I had to walked around to see what other goodies were there. And I found these bowls. There were five of them for $2.00. I just liked the look of them. So I brought them home, cleaned them up and while trying to decide where to display them, I rediscovered this tray...
So now they are all on display in my hutch.

This cooler weather is really making me look forward to soup weather...

I love soup, and don't necessarily have to have cool weather to make a pot.
But especially in cool weather, I make a lot of soup.

Last week I made a large pot of Potato and Leek soup. It has become one of my new favorites.
I added crumbled bacon, some homemade croutons, cracked pepper and sea salt...
Yummy! I had enough to freeze two containers for a quick meal on another day.





Another yummy fruit dessert:
Here is a photo of the Apple, blueberry, raspberry crumble I posted a few days ago after it was baked. I usually buy blueberries and raspberries and even strawberries when they are on sale and freeze them to use later. So I usually have plenty on hand for just such craving...




And on a final food note:
Noah saw me cooking and mixing up the above dish, and he wanted to try his hand at cooking something yummy. So with a wee bit of help, he mixed up a 1/2 batch of peanut butter cookies. I used the recipe that I used as a child. Once the dough is mixed you place it in the fridge to chill then roll into balls and crisscross with a fork. When I was young, I would eat the raw dough. It was so full of peanut buttery goodness. In fact, a funny story; I would take a zippy bag of dough with me to school to snack on and of course other kids would want some, so I would go home, make more and bring several zippy bag to friends...you couldn't do that today...I never knew a kid with a peanut allergy when I was growing up. Today, a child would get in serious trouble for bringing food from home and passing out to other kids...especially something containing peanut butter. (reason 3,467 why I think the world has gone crazy...but that's for another post.)





With those memories in my head while helping Noah make his first batch of cookies, I offered him a bite of the dough. At first he wasn't interested. He's kind of a skeptical kid when it comes to trying new foods. If it doesn't look like something he would want, he won't even try it. But he finally decided to try a bite...he fell in love...of course he's a peanut butter loving kid like I was..
So after eating his fill of dough we put it in the fridge. After supper, he helped me roll them out and make the crisscrosses, we put them in the oven and baked them.
He ate a belly full and loved them. He was especially proud that he had made them himself.







Well there are some other things that have been happening around here, but like the old saying goes: don't tell everyone everything you know...leave something to the imagination... and in this case, to other posts...



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails