Monday, February 16, 2009

Fruit of the Spirit


Years ago, after reading Galatians chapter 5, I begin to think about verses 22 and 23. I had read and heard these scriptures all of my life. As a child I memorized these verses in Sunday School, so this was not new to me in the least. But several years ago the Lord began to deal with me about these scriptures.


22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.


The first thing I noticed about this scripture is the word fruit. I had never noticed before that it was fruit, singular, instead of fruits, plural. A little thing? Maybe. I think in my mind I was visualizing these things; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, and so on, as different fruits of the spirit. That would imply that you could go along and pick and choose which ones you preferred.


I was shopping the other day in the produce section at the market, trying to find healthy foods to offer my family, and I was browsing around at the various fruits on display. There were some there I had never tried, some I didn't even know what they were. This scripture was again brought to my attention. In the market I could choose the ones I like and the ones I thought my family might enjoy. There were some there that I didn't like, some I had never eaten, and really had no desire to try.


However, in the scripture we cannot pick and choose the ones that we like, they are one. If we are Christ's, if we walk in newness of life with Him, if we are one of His, we will be known by our fruit.


In John 15:16 Jesus teaches us that we are to bring forth fruit...


16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,

and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit,

and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall

ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.


If we are His, called by His name, if we have His spirit living in us, we will produce fruit. That is a given, we are commanded to produce, or we will be pruned. In Matthew 3:10, John the Baptist tells us:


10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.


There are many verses in the New Testament alone that talks of fruit and bearing fruit in the spirit. We are known by the fruit we bear. In Luke 6:43 we are reminded:


43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.


The contents of our heart will be displayed by the fruit we bear. If God is in our heart, we will produce good fruit. If we are seekers of Him, If we desire to be like Him, then we will produce the good fruit.


In John 15:17 Jesus gives us the key to the fruit of the spirit when He says:


17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.



If there is love, true Christ-like love for others, then joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance will all exhibit themselves through your love. For if we have genuine love, we also have peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. They all go together with LOVE.



Jesus tells us in John 13:34-35

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.


If we are His true disciples, we will be known as such if we love one another as He loved us.


I once heard a preacher say that this scripture says: love one to another. He said that love for one another was a feeling, love to one another was an action. We should act on the love we feel by showing our love. We should act by doing for one another...

How is your love? Do you love others as God loves you? Do you have love one to another?

I have always prayed that God's love would shine through me, but now I feel compelled to pray that I can have a love like God's love, for(to) others. That I will love others, not just those I know, not just my family, or my friends, but that He will give me a love in my heart for all humanity...If I have love for them, or to them, then I can show joy toward others. I will have peace, and be peaceful with others. I will be longsuffering or patient in my dealings with others. I will be gentle and good to others. I will have faith and show faith in others. I will be meek and humble, not proud or haughty, feeling superior to others. I will also use temperance, constraint, or self-control when I deal with others. I will do unto others...I will show my fruit.
I know in my daily life I need God to help me to bear fruit. To show my fruit...


How is your fruit? Is your fruit showing? Is your life full of fruit, or like myself, are some of your branches barron, in need of pruning? I don't want to be hewn down like the scriptures says of trees that bring forth no fruit. I want to bring forth good fruit, I want to be known as His...


I am not trying to be "preachy", I am not saying this as someone who has it all figured out. I am expressing my thoughts and feelings. These are the things that I struggle with, areas where God is dealing with me. This blog is an expression of my daily life and struggles that I face. Just an on-line journal of sorts, that helps me to work out the things in my mind that need to be expressed and examined...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails